¿Comida Kosher? Descubre cómo obtener el certificado para tu establecimiento en México
Every day we consume “kosher” foods without realizing it. But how do we know if a food meets this condition?
This name comes from Hebrew >>Cashrut<, whose translation is: pure. A food is considered Kosher, pure, clean or of quality when a specialized company attests that it is and that it complies with the requirements of Jewish standards.
From this, Kosher animals or birds, dairy products, fruits, vegetables, eggs, cereals, condiments, wines, oils, among others arise.
With regard to Kosher exports worldwide, Mexico represents 5%, Israel being the largest world market. There are many recognized companies that have the certificate, among them: Herdez, Alpura, Bimbo, Sabritas, etc.
To be authorized to sell kosher products in any establishment, you must meet the following requirements:
Ingredients must be individually approved and classified as Kosher. Check certified products here.
- The equipment must be used for Kosher ingredients and be subjected to a Kosherization process before generating the products.
- Change equipment kosher status to pareve (edible substances that do not contain dairy products or meat ingredients).
- Comply with Koshery Laws. They are summarized in:
1 Specification of foods allowed or prohibited to eat.
two The absolute impediment to eating and cooking meat with milk.
3 – Do not mix kitchen utensils when preparing food. For example, if cheese (dairy) is cut with a knife, it can no longer be used to cut meat or vegetables.
Steps to follow
1 Execute the Kosher certification application.
two Once the request is received, Kosher SC Quality Supervisors send a specialist to perform the initial inspection.
3 – The inspector or rabbi reviews the facilities and their processes, then forward a report to the office.
Four. The agency reviews the list of ingredients and products, to ensure they meet the requirements.
5 If necessary, new inspections are carried outconsecutive line, and suggestions are made.
6 The applicant and the Agency sign a contract.
7 The Kosher certificate is obtained, whose validity is maintained for 1 year.
What is kosher food?
The word Kosher, of Hebrew origin, refers to something that is «permitted or appropriate».
Some people believe that Kosher corresponds to a specific type of food. On the contrary, it is a food review system based on the religious criteria of Judaism, aimed at benefiting the balance of the soul, body and mind of its consumers.
Food must obey a series of hygienic norms and related to its production. They are classified into 3 categories:
- Dairy products: Milk and milk products. Mixing with meat is prohibited.
- Meat: For an animal to be for Kosher consumption, it must have cracked hooves and, in turn, be a ruminant (which digests food in two stages, first consumes it and then cuds)
- Pareve: Better known as “neutral”, any food that does not contain meat or dairy products and is naturally Kosher. Among them: Fruits, vegetables and grains, eggs and fish.
Who consumes Kosher?
As mentioned above, this specialty is sought after and consumed mainly by the Jewish community. However, there are currently many buyers (mainly vegetarians) who seek these products for reasons of quality and health, despite not practicing or professing any religion.
On the other hand, there are people who require a strict diet for health reasons, whether vegan or vegetarian. Kosher conditions are perfectly adapted to such cases. Another type of consumer who prefers Kosher or Pareve products are those who cannot eat animal fats or seafood.
About 135 million people in the world prefer to choose this type of food and, above all, companies, with around 6,000 of them specialized in this system. Israel leads the largest Kosher market in the world; second, the United States positions itself as an emerging market, continuing with France, Mexico, Argentina and Brazil.
What does the certificate guarantee?
East ensures that the system used to produce food complies with the rules and statutes of the Jewish religion, also adding quality assurance and transparency.
On the other hand, In order to achieve a good position in the emerging market for kosher products, it is extremely important to have a certificate that endorses the specialty of the service. Every day several companies and food industries that seek this certification enter the list, due to the exhaustive control that it has.
For a kosher product to be considered «suitable», it first follows quality control, governed by a biblical and Talmudic standard corresponding to Jewish law. The entities that grant this designation are qualified for this purpose and guarantee that the quality of the food complies with these standards.
It must be taken into account that within the Kosher regulations for the realization of certification, there are aspects such as: the ingredients and what we can call kasherization.
A fundamental factor observed by the supervisors of the certification companies in relation to this issue of kasherization, is that the properties of the product can be absorbed if it is kept in a container for more than 24 hours, or when it comes in contact with a hot deposit. .
What are the benefits of Kosher food?
In addition to the religious benefits established by the Jewish system, consuming Kosher products has other advantages, including:
- People who consume these types of products tend to have healthier physical conditions.
- It can lower blood cholesterol.
- Reduces fat consumed by 90%. Dairy products and meats are high in fat, especially when put together.
- Ensures better digestion, because by separating food, it is more efficiently deployed by the body.
- It reduces the chances of an allergic reaction. Pork is one of the most allergenic, when banning it, it is unlikely that allergies will manifest. The same occurs with some dairy products and their derivatives.
- Meat is healthier Due to the quality of its preparation, it reduces the risk of being contaminated by some bacteria.
- Kosher meat is obtained from animals that have been slaughtered painlessly and instantaneously, therefore, it does not cause adrenaline production in them. This makes it much healthier compared to other animals that are slaughtered conventionally, giving rise to unwanted hormones.
- It makes us feel better and safer when it comes to consuming our food, the animals, on the other hand, received «humane treatment» and without abuse.
With regard to commercial production, establishments offering this type of services also benefit from increased sales and consumption. In Mexico, the demand for these products has been increasing since the last 40 years.
How much does the procedure cost?
Certification prices may vary depending on the products and expenses generated by the review: location of the company, complexity of the processes, quantity of food to be certified, if necessary, factory supervisor, among other aspects.
In the case of meat, the cost can be increased by up to 20%, as it involves slaughtering the animal with a sharp knife and removing the meat.
Who carries out the certification?
In Mexico, there is an internationally recognized agency responsible for the certification of Kosher food, raw materials and drinks. It’s about Quality supervisors.
It is currently the leading entity in the Kosher certification market at the national level, whose tradition goes back to the middle of the 20th century. Its main objective is to implement the Kosher certification system to all Mexican companies that require it, making use of exhaustive and rigorous inspections.
Because there are many places where followers of Jewish traditions thrive, certifications in Mexico are not only issued for restaurants; Banquet houses, ballrooms, butchers, chocolate shops, bakeries, pastry shops, hospitals, among others, are also inspected.
In this way, kosher food consumers feel calmer and safer when consuming food distributed by these companies or service providers.
It should be noted that not all establishments can have or be proud of a kosher certificate, as the controls are rigorous and rigorous in this regard. This sometimes makes it more difficult to find a site in Mexico that is certified.
But don’t worry, here are some of the places you can visit and visit, both to taste your culinary delicacies and to collect data and references in the preparation of your establishment and in the application for certification, if applicable.
- Adonis / Address: Av. Homero 424, Miguel Hidalgo, Polanco.
- La Semilla / Address: Av. Prolongación de los Bosques # 1321-1er Piso, Colonel Lomas del Chamizal.
- Metsuyan / Address: Temístocles 37, Polanco, Miguel Hidalgo.
- El Mexicano Kosher / Address: Fuente de Templanza 17, San Miguel Tecamachalco.
Now that you know the benefits of Kosher food and all the requirements to acquire the certificate, you can offer this type of menu in your restaurant or simply enjoy its taste and quality.
If you liked this article about Kosher certified We recommend the following related articles: