Requisitos para ser presidente de Guatemala: Todo lo que debes saber
The presence of an elected President is a very important figure for the development, growth and relations of his fellow citizens and neighboring countries. Read the Requirements to be president of Guatemala: everything you need to know and you will know much more about what this position entails.
Requirements to be president of Guatemala
According to the Constitution of the Republic of Guatemala, in its art. 185, in order to be able to be elected President or Vice President, in the current suffrage rules it is necessary:
- Have the Guatemalan citizenship by birth, Besides having completed forty years.
Presidential functions, we can appreciate them in the Constitution of the Republic of Guatemala, established in article 183:
- Execute and enforce the Constitution and laws.
- It provides defense and confidence to the Nation, and it also provides the rules for preserving public order.
- Exercise total leadership of the nation’s Armed Forces
- Play the leadership over the Public Force.
- Be a sanctioner, promulgator and enforcer of laws.
Issue the necessary decisions in the event of serious emergencies at levels of public calamity, communicating in the immediate sessions to the Congress.
- The bills must be presented to the Congress of the Republic.
- Apply your right of veto in relation to the laws that Congress has issued. Except that sanction by the executive branch is not essential under the constitutional mandate.
- On an annual basis, at the beginning of the Republic Congress, it must present a written report that expresses the general situation of the nation and the commercial agreements concluded or presented during its administrative exercise of the immediately preceding year.
- Annually during Ministry of Public Finance, should be submitted for approval by the Congress, the formulation of the budget detailing the State’s revenues and expenses. Must be submitted at least four months before the start of the fiscal year. The Congress must be in session or, failing that, meet in extraordinary sessions and be aware of the project.
- Before ratifying international treaties and conventions, as well as public service contracts and concessions, you must submit them to the Congress for your approval.
- Invite to hold extraordinary sessions with the Legislative body in all cases that the interests of the nation demand.
- Organize through Council of Ministers growth and development policies of the Nation.
- Drive the Council of Ministers and assume responsibilities as the highest hierarchy of employees and employees of the Executive Board.
- To defend the nation’s dignity and territorial integrity.
- According to the Constitution, carry out ratifications and submit complaints to treaties and conventions. As the direction of foreign policy and international relations.
- Host diplomatic representatives, issuing and withdrawing the placet that corresponds to consuls.
Based on the laws, it must coordinate matters related to public finances.
- Deposit fines and surcharges on taxpayers who, as they do not collect taxes under legal terms for acts or omissions in the administrative order, have fallen to them
- Appoint and remove ministers and vice ministers. Also to secretaries and undersecretaries. Including ambassadors and any other official established by law.
- Grant pensions, pensions and montepíos in accordance with the law.
- Check decorations for Guatemalans and foreigners
- When traveling abroad, you must inform Congress of the achievement of the objectives that justify any trip. Within fifteen days of completion.
- Four times a year, every four months. It must present to Congress and through the corresponding Ministry, an analytical report on the execution of the budget, for its monitoring.
- Any other function designated by the Constitution and the laws.
How the president is elected in Guatemala
The elections to elect the President of the Republic are held by secret universal suffrage.
The face-to-face mandate has a duration of four years not extendable.
During the election, none of the candidates can obtain an absolute majority of the votes, so a second election will be held. That must be carried out in a period of time not exceeding two months or less than a month and a half. Opponents were reduced to the two candidates with the largest number of voters on their record.
Prohibitions on the option of being president
There are some conditions that prohibit the option to be President of the Republic of Guatemala:
- People who act as leaders or chiefs of coups, or armed revolutions or similar situations. Whose actions generated changes to the constitutional order or as a result of them the Head of Government took over.
Those who hold the position of President or Vice-President at the time of the election of the new Head of State. Like those who for any reason held the office of president at any time during the fiscal year when elections are held.
- Family members of the President or Vice-President of the Republic, who are part of fourth degree of inbreeding it’s from second affinity, and the maximum position is being exercised. Including these conditions for the people described in the first point.
- The person who would have served as Minister of State, in the six months prior to the election, regardless of the term.
- Only in a situation of dismissal or retirement with at least five years before the date of the election call, is it the only way that members of the army.
- No person at all Minister religious or any cult.
- The members of the judiciary of the Supreme Electoral Court.
It should be noted that re-election is prohibited for:
- Anyone who has exercised the Presidency without a time limit, regardless of the form of assuming it, whether by popular election or by dictatorship.
- He is the one who assumed the presidency for more than two years to replace the holder of the position.
In the event of exercise of reelection or extension of the presidential term, if there is any justification, the sanction provided for by law will be applied. Generating absolute nullity in the exercised shares.
Current President of Guatemala
In the general elections held during 2019, in its 1st round on June 16, 2019 and in its 2nd round on August 11, 2019, 57.95% of the total voters were favored in Mr. Alejandro Eduardo Giammattei Falla.
It will assume the position of President of the Republic of Guatemala from January 14, 2020 to 2024, being the only person in the world who exercises his position accompanied by crutches to mobilize. A condition that speaks positively of him, as an example of an incentive to eliminate the limitations of professional growth in the lives of many people.
Mr. Giammattei, in addition to being a Guatemalan politician, is a professional physician and firefighter. During the years 2005 to 2007, he was director of the Guatemalan Penitentiary System, using this position as a basis to make himself known, obtaining such popularity that he decided to participate in his first elections in 2007, followed by those in 2011 and 2015.
It is characterized by its position against abortion and same-sex marriage and supports the death penalty and the use of military forces to safeguard citizens’ security.
Ministries of State in Guatemala
In Decree 114 of 1997, issued by the Congress of the Republic of Guatemala, in its Chapter II on the Structure and Functions of Public Administration.
Article 119 of its Fourth Section provides that there are 13 Ministries that will dispatch the business that the Executive Body of the Guatemalan nation decides, namely:
- The Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food, followed by the Ministry of Communications, Infrastructure and Housing, de. Energy and Mines, Public Finance
- Also the Ministries of Culture and Sport, the Ministry of Economy, Education, Interior and the Ministry of National Defense.
- In another group we find the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Public Health and Social Assistance, in addition to Labor and Social Security. And finally the Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources.
Each of them has a titular position, known as Ministers of State. They report their activities to the Vice Presidency of the Republic, although they depend on President, which in turn, has the power to appoint and remove them from their positions.
Ministers of State They have authority and competence across the nation, in the issues and decisions of the branch that drive.
They are responsible for their actions according to the Constitution and the laws. Everyone They have the same level of hierarchy, so the privileges and immunities are the same.
I hope you enjoyed reading!
If you liked this article about Requirements to be president of Guatemala We recommend the following related articles: