Did you know you can request the exchange of Venezuelan driver’s license in Spain?
Among the “Pending” list of many immigrants arriving in Spain is the exchange of driver’s licenses.
In Spain, it is better known as a driving license and is a document valid throughout the European Union.
The exchange of the Venezuelan license for the Spanish one is very simple.
Because there is an agreement between Venezuela and Spain that allows citizens of one country to establish residence in the other, obtain a driver’s license without having to go through the process of obtaining it from scratch.
The process is administered by the General Directorate of Traffic (DGT) and consists of validating with INTT Venezuela that the person has a license and meets the minimum requirements for their exchange.
If it was within your plans to obtain a Spanish driver’s license, this article is for you.
License change requirements and documents
Below I explain what are the requirements for changing the Venezuelan driver’s license in Spain.
These are the documents you must provide on the day of your appointment:
Registration in official form which is provided at the Traffic Headquarters.
Original and photocopy of your identity document:
- If you have Spanish nationality, you must present your identity document or passport.
- If you are a community citizen, present your Union Citizen Certificate, accompanied by your country’s identity document or passport.
- This procedure cannot be done with the provisional NIE.
- If you are not an EU resident, residence card.
Psychophysical Aptitude Report issued by a Driver Recognition Center.
It is a cost that must be covered and is around 35 €.
Permission to exchange in original and photocopy.
Proof of payment of tax II.
At the date of publication of this article, the fee is € 27.70.
You can pay by card at the center where your query corresponds.
A recent photograph of the candidate’s face
32 by 26 mm, in color and with a smooth background, taken from the front with bare head and without sunglasses or any other clothing that may prevent or hinder the identification of the person.
In the case of candidates whose hair is covered by religion, veiled photographs will be accepted.
The only limitation to his admission is that the oval of the face appears completely uncovered from the hairline to the chin, so that it does not prevent or hinder the identification of the person.
Exchange of process licenses in Spain
The process is very simple and I explain each of the steps I had to follow to perform this procedure.
Those who were first licensed before 2005 are not required to take any exam.
Anyone who wants to change the license, and obtained it for the first time after 2005, should consult which exams and procedures in addition to those explained here must be performed.
You must make sure that your data is correct at INTT.
The Directorate-General of Transit of Spain will consult this data to verify whether they are legitimate and to approve or not the exchange.
You must make an appointment
Having your license details, nationality (ID card and Venezuelan passport) and Spanish DNI or NIE in hand.
- The appointment can be assigned for six months after your request and the license must be up to date to complete the process.
- If you are still in Venezuela, you can try to renew it if it is about to expire.
Assuming they have met and approved the Appointment, you must be prepared and bring the following:
- Photograph a 32 x 26 mm colored original with a smooth background, taken from the front with bare head and without sunglasses or any other clothing that could prevent or hinder the identification of the person.
- Exchange request forms and any other forms requested in the requirements.
- DNI or NIE.
- Venezuelan license, identity card and passport.
- You must pay a fee of € 28. You can do this at DGT headquarters with your debit / credit card
- Historical certificate of foreigners: requested to all foreigners (Community and third countries)
It does not appear on the DGT website and is sometimes not mentioned when calling 060.
This document accredits foreign citizens in all periods of residence (cumulative) since obtaining the said condition.
Pay the fee
It is about € 10.71. It is essential to attach this document on the day of the consultation and then explain how to obtain it (in Madrid):
Go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Office without prior appointment: Calle San Felipe 7 (Metro Tetuán – Line 1) They deliver themselves on the same day and fewer people attend. Request and fill out the “Model 790” form and pay the fee at any bank.
DGT will keep your Venezuelan license and give you a voucher, valid for three months, with which you can direct, which will be sent to you by the Post Office and you will receive it at the address you indicate.
How long does it take for the license change to take effect?
Approximately the exchange is valid for 2 to 3 months in which you are approved for a driving voucher, but by the time you receive your license, it will have already taken effect.
Where does the license exchange take place?
The exchange takes place in one of the facilities of the General Traffic Directorate.
Can you drive in Spain with a Venezuelan license?
Yes, you can drive with a Venezuelan license in Spain, but only for the first 6 months after entering the country.
After this time, you must request to change your driver’s license or, failing that, start the process of obtaining your license from scratch.
Venezuelan license format
Here we will leave a format of what the Venezuelan driver’s license looks like:
Spanish license format
Here, let’s leave a format of what the Spanish driver’s license looks like:
License change recommendations
There are a few things you should know before and after changing your license, which we will mention in this space:
- You cannot apply for an exchange if your license was issued in Venezuela after having taken up residence in Spain.
- On many pages they indicate that if you have more than 6 months of residence in Spain, you cannot change it.
In my experience, this is not the case.
This period corresponds to the time that the Spanish authorities allow you to drive with a Venezuelan license.
However, if you want to change it after 6 months of residence, you can do it as long as you respect the previous condition.
- The DGT sends the data validation request to INTT and the response can take up to 6 months. Be patient! You can check the status of your exchange order on the DGT website.
- If your application is approved, the Venezuelan license will be retained on the same day as the appointment.
- As soon as your exchange request is accepted, DGT will send your driver’s license to your address.
- If you wish to request a driver’s license exchange, consider that the road signs in the European Union are approved and are different from those in Venezuela. Road responsibility first!
- The exchange of the Venezuelan driver’s license of second degree or type A (for motorcycles) and third degree or type B (motor vehicles with a maximum of 8 passengers) does not require examination. For the remaining driving licenses, it is mandatory.
- If you have already obtained your Spanish driver’s license through the process of changing your driver’s license, but have never driven a vehicle in Spain, make sure you know the local regulations before you hit the road. Avoid committing infractions for ignorance.
- The road infrastructure in Spain is very extensive and different from the Venezuelan one, for example, Madrid has many roundabouts and roundabouts (roundabouts) and there are regulations to get around them.
- As I said earlier, the document here is called a driver’s license. Also, remember that in Spain you don’t drive a car, you drive a car. I recommend that you adapt to the vocabulary as soon as possible.
I hope this article has been helpful to you. Driver’s license redemption in Spain is one of the most common procedures for Venezuelans, and I hope this article has helped you. If you liked it, comment and share.
If you liked this article about Requirements for the exchange of a Venezuelan license in Spain We recommend the following related articles: