Tramites y Requisitos para Casarse en Guatemala
It is known that marriage is complicated, but we are not referring to the fact of having to start living with someone, but to all the procedures that he deserves.
Marriage can change your requirements depending on the person, situation or place where it occurs.
Therefore, we present the different procedures and requirements required to be able to get married in Guatemala.
Remember to have pencil and paper to write anything that seems important to you!
Requirements to formalize a wedding in Guatemala
It is about the individuals who act in the conjugal act.
Of course, we can find those who contract, of course, men and women, over 18.
Even so, in some cases, the marriage of a man over sixteen and a woman over fourteen can be authorized.
Likewise, the contracting parties must not have a cause that renders the marriage bond unfounded, as established in article 88 of the Civil Code of Guatemala.
As for the official who can authorize the marriage, there are the Notary, the Mayor and the Counselor correctly.
Witnesses must also be presented at the wedding.
Whoever is getting married needs to indicate his identity.
In addition, according to the provisions of Article 97 of the Civil Code of Guatemala, the document that proves sanity is necessary for the promised man and for the woman only when required by the groom.
It is necessary to deliver proof of the act to the groom and notify the civil registry within 15 working days after the wedding ceremony.
Requirements for solemn marriage:
The law establishes that the notary must indicate the day and time for the practice of the act of marriage.
When the ceremony is held, articles 78 and those that make up 108 to 114 of the Civil Code will be read.
On the other hand, he will receive the bride’s approval to take themselves as husband and wife. After that, he will declare them united in marriage.
Procedures for Marriage in Guatemala
To contract marriage between nationals
The requirements for nationals are those that are generally established in the Guatemalan civil code, without the need for specification.
Civil marriage is classified as a social institution. It is done with the intention of being permanent and with the objective of living together.
These procedures are:
- An original identity card and a photocopy of both parties are required.
- The original birth certificate valid at the time of each party’s marriage.
- Medical certificate from both spouses stating that they do not suffer from any disease. Whether it is contagious, very serious or harmful to the other spouse, a medical report should also be made where it is proven that the spouse does not have physical defects that prevent procreation.
- In the situation where the spouses already live together or have children, it is not necessary to present the medical certificate.
- Each contractor is required to present the ornamental pass for the past year.
- If one or both spouses are widowed or divorced, you need to state this on the birth certificate.
Once the civil marriage is done, then the same will be delivered to the marriage certificate.
With this document, you can (and technically have to do it mandatorily) register the marriage with RENAP so that you can grant the marriage certificate.
It is limited that minors under 18 are not allowed to marry.
Among the requirements for foreigners to get married in the country of Guatemala are:
- Have a birth certificate.
- Present a single certificate.
- Show a recent medical certificate or proof.
- Have a valid passport or identification document.
- Since one of the contracting parties is Guatemalan, marriage agreements must be concluded. Performed by a lawyer and duly authenticated
- File all documents from abroad in order to have the consent of the law.
The documents mentioned above must have passed through the civil registry of the foreign contractor’s country of origin
Likewise, these documents require the corresponding signature of the Guatemalan ambassador or consul in the country of origin of the other foreign spouse.
And, if necessary, these documents must be translated by an official Guatemalan translator.
Other important points to consider when a foreigner is involved in the marriage process:
- The fact that civil marriage was contracted in Guatemala does not automatically mean that the foreigner’s civil status is the same in your country, for this it is necessary to contact the Guatemalan immigration institutions.
- In case one of the spouses is Guatemalan, it is necessary to present the documents of his / her native country.
- When the civil marriage ceremony has already taken place, the respective marriage certificate will be handed over, with which they must register with RENAP, in order to finally obtain the legal marriage certificate.
Where to celebrate the wedding
There is a wide variety of places where you can celebrate a wedding, even more so, if you are looking for an extravagant place that you and your partner will remember forever, some of them are:
Extravagant hotel located in Santa Catarina.
It has a beautiful swimming pool from where you can see the 3 volcanoes that are around. Thousands of couples got married at this hotel.
Access to the hotel is very easy, whether by public or private transport, so guests will have no trouble arriving.
Posada Santiago is an example of what is considered typical.
It is a hotel known for providing an experience of what is considered rustic and luxurious, making its guests always want to return after a year.
Posada Santiago does not establish guidelines for a wedding, the couple is completely free to design their wedding to their liking, as long as it does not contradict the hotel’s policies.
The hotel staff is always ready to assist in this type of event.
There are different types of distractions and services that make this hotel very inviting.
HOUSE OF THE WORLD:
Casa del Mundo is one of the best places to get married in Guatemala.
Thanks to the mountain’s private character, its characteristic architecture and its very wide green spaces, it is an ideal place for a wedding, both for aesthetics and space.
It offers beautiful views from wherever you are, the way it was done, whether in a room, a balcony or even a pool, you will have a brotherly view.
There are different sports activities that ensure that guests always have something to do, so one of the few things that this hotel does not offer is boredom.
This hotel has a kitchen available, thus ensuring the comfort of future spouses having to discover how to bring food to the hotel.
The distribution of the rooms is very comfortable and practical for guests who wish to relax after entertainment.
If the tickets get out of hand and the hotel becomes overcrowded, there are a variety of hotels nearby where you can go without much effort.
This hotel stands out for its proximity to the water, with a variety of piers that are right in the water.
What you see at the wedding is incredible and sublime in the eyes of everyone present.
Ecology is also a big factor in this hotel, using alternative energies to produce electricity, such as solar energy.
A restaurant where red meat and fish are not served.
An advantage that this hotel has is that it has a mountain right behind it, the view is completely stunning and this mountain is the place designated as a nature reserve by it.
This procedure is completely free because it is a social institution.
We hope that the article was very useful and pleasant to read.
In addition, we wish you a beautiful wedding and a happy wedding if you entered this article looking to be one.
Do not hesitate to read other travel articles, so that you know the best options for your honeymoon.
If you liked this article about We recommend the following related articles: