Trámites y Requisitos para ser Congresista en Perú
People have many dreams to fulfill and, based on that, they work hard to make them come true. Some dream of being in a big company, others dream of a big profession.
For people connected with politics, many may dream of becoming parliamentarians, so Discover here all the procedures and Requirements to be a congressman in Peru.!
Democracy is a way of life and government. This guarantees a free and egalitarian society, where all citizens have the same duties and rights, in addition to being tolerant of their differences.
This must be fulfilled to the letter. However, as is known, democratic countries are rarely governed by the rules in this way, due to the form of government.
The must be from Congress of the Republic is to guarantee democracy.
For this, it is important that each citizen knows the functions and the way in which the strengthening of the work of parliamentarians can contribute to the country.
Yet, What does a congressman do?
Be a congressman is a service fee Y of great responsibility to better represent the population that voted and elected him as their representative.
Therefore, you must choose with true sincerity and conscience, as you are a person who will be in power for several years.
- Parliamentarians make the most important decisions for the country.
QUALITIES OF A GOOD CONGRESS:
- The congressman carries out his work in accordance with the principles of independence, transparency, honesty, truthfulness, respect, tolerance, responsibility, democracy, common good, integrity, objectivity and justice.
- He must know how to bring his actions to the country’s democracy.
- Must have respect for parliamentary investiture
- Refrain from acting outside the scope of its parliamentary action with State entities in the exercise of their functions.
- Do not claim preferential treatment when performing personal or family procedures.
Take responsibility for each document you sign
- They must fulfill their tax obligations.
- Comply and enforce the Constitution and laws.
- Maintain exemplary conduct even when they do not share your opinion or position.
You must meet these characteristics to be a good congressman.
At the same time, you should have a number of documents and meet a series of requirements.
Requirements to be a congressman
What are the requirements to be a congressman from Peru?
- Being Peruvian by birth
- Turned 25
- Have completed high school and preferably higher education.
- Be enrolled in the National Registry of Identification and Civil Status.
- You have the right to vote in any election
- Being democratically elected
- Do not be prevented by justice from exercising your citizenship rights. (court records, debts with SUNAT, etc.)
You may be interested in this reading: «Steps and requirements for being mayor of Peru».
Documentation to be a congressman
According to the law, to be a deputy it is not necessary to have some level of education. A person who cannot read or write can run for Congress and be elected; You also don’t need to own a property or have a certain income.
Although this is what the law dictates, it is really necessary that the congressman has a certain level of educationbecause he is a person who is going to make very important decisions for the country and who suffers the consequences is the State and its citizens.
Such a high position requires complete university studies, with a master’s degree in public administration and a doctorate, if possible.
With exceptions only for congressmen from vulnerable populations or ethnic groups who have an active participation in the development of their people.
You would be an excellent candidate if you meet at least these generalities:
- Have a three-year university or technical degree.
- Having no history of financial problems.
- It is forbidden to have a criminal record.
- You also cannot have a history of legal charges.
Which body should you go to be a deputy?
You must address the Peru Congress so that they give you all the rules.
Its main headquarters is Legislative Palace of Peru, located in the historic center of Lima. The current president of the Congress is Daniel Salaverry, representative of La Libertad.
Now, if you are a citizen, you not only have the right to provide information to Congress, but also to request it.
That is, you have the right to actively participate in Congress matters and thus collaborate with transparency and avoid illegal or unethical actions.
If the citizen goes to Congress personally, he can do so in any of the Citizen Service Modules.
The specially trained team will provide specific advice and information on the activities of the institution and the congressmen.
Likewise, access to parliamentary facilities will be facilitated and printed material will be provided with information about bills, forum calendars, public hearings, committee meetings and other events.
Functions of a congressman in Peru
- Produce your own laws or third party presentations.
- Exercise political control over the tasks or decisions of government and public officials.
- Take action on behalf of communities in the regions of influence.
- Control and supervise the state institutions that carry out their work.
- The deputy’s job is full-time.
- He cannot exercise any other function or occupy other public positions, except that of Minister of State.
- He is prevented from being a majority shareholder of private companies that have works concession contracts with the State.
- Formulate law proposals that are relevant and important to all citizens and that are properly studied and substantiated.
- Participate with voice and vote in the Plenary and in the commissions.
- Submit bills that contribute to the development of the country and the well-being of all Peruvians.
- Send written requests to meet the needs of the people you represent.
How much does a congressman earn
Parliamentarians’ salaries, which political parties agreed to freeze for the next four years and reduce from 2022 onwards, it represents almost 44 times what a parliamentarian earned in 1991.
The congressman’s remuneration must be partial.
- That is, if you receive 18,000 soles per month, you will receive only 5,000 and the remaining 13,000 will be delivered at the end of your period, as long as you have no investigation or crime and must be evaluated.
There is a deputy who has been a deputy all his life and has no result, so it has to be improved if it cannot be measured or evaluated.
How long does a congressman’s term last
How long does a congressman hold?
Difficult 5 years. However, so far there is a proposal to prohibit parliamentarians from running again.
In other words, the Peruvian voter disapproves of the Republic Congress or is in favor of eliminating the re-election of its members.
However, figures on the composition of the Peruvian Parliament show that, between 1931 and 2016, 77% of elected legislators were newcomers.
The percentage of parliamentarians who participated in at least three terms is barely 8%.
Currently, there is also outrage at Congress. This has a lot to do with political intolerance and distrust of public institutions.
How many Congressmen does Peru have?
The Congress consists of the Republic Senate and the House of Representatives.
It is a body made up of several members, each of whom has equal power and responsibility.
Currently there 130 parliamentarians elected for the 2016-2021 period.
What is the responsibility of the Congress in Peru?
The congress in peru takes care of:
- Give laws and legislative resolutions.
- Ensure respect for the Constitution and laws.
- Provide what is convenient to enforce offenders’ liability.
- Approve the treaties, in accordance with the Constitution.
- Approve the Budget and the General Account.
- Exercise the right to amnesty.
- Give consent for foreign troops to enter the territory of the Republic, provided that it does not affect, in any way, national sovereignty.
- Authorize the President of the Republic to leave the country.
- To exercise the other attributions indicated by the Constitution and specific to the legislative function.
- All function and feature points mentioned above must be met.
- If you’re going to be a congressman, try to be a citizen who really wants to serve his nation and who can do it.
- Today, in Peru, a change is needed, as it is said that the congress has become the cradle of corruption.
- Prove otherwise.
Well, if you are already choosing to be a deputy and are willing to fulfill your duties according to the Constitution and the laws, meet all the requirements to be a deputy in Peru take care.
If politics is not your thing, but you want to work for the country, you might be interested «Procedures and requirements for joining the Peruvian Army.»
If you liked this article about Requirements to be a congressman in Peru We recommend the following related articles: